The Fort Peck Dam exhibit was created by the Corps of Engineers. The dam project was started in 1933 and was completed in 1940, with as many as 10,500 people working on it at one time. The photo of the dam's huge concrete spillway, shot by Margaret Bourke-White, made the cover of the very first issue of LIFE magazine. The entire Fort Peck Dam project is featured at the museum in miniature form.
Our newly remodeled machine yard features many pieces of old-time machinery such as tractors, plows, balers, sprayers, windmills, and even a cement mixer! We are also pleased to display an old Great Northern caboose. The machine yard has been furnished with wooden and cement sidewalks for your walking convenience.
This display is full of memorabilia from the Glasgow schools! It includes instruments, Scottie uniforms and letter jackets, a Scottie band kilt, old school books, "The Scotty" annuals, the Southside School bell, and many, many pictures!
Don't miss this exhibit of wildlife mountings, artifacts, antlers, and furs from the Stan Kalinski Collection! You'll see the beautifully ornate and historical Buffalo Bill Cody Bar (which still sports a bullet hole and lead slug from the wild West), a buffalo mount that was butchered for a celebration honoring President Franklin D. Roosevelt's visit, and much more!
Inside the museum is a fully furnished dining room and old schoolhouse room. The dining room contains many items from the 1800s as well as a valuable china collection. The schoolhouse room is reminiscent of a country school in the 1930s.
Our local aviation history began in 1913 with "barnstorming." With the advent of the war and need for military operations came the construction of the WWII bomber base, the Opheim Radar Station, and the Glasgow Air
Force Base. Some of the items on display are uniforms, foreign money, a WWI flight suit, and a wall dedicated to those who gave their lives in WWII.
In the 1850s a survey was made to determine a practical railroad route from St. Paul, Minnesota, to the Seattle, Washington, and Puget Sound area. The approved route cut through present-day Valley County and Glasgow. The rail project was finished in completion thirty years later in the 1880s.
Our display features railroad-era memorabilia including toy trains, lanterns, brakemen's caps, and many early pictures of the railroad coming into Glasgow.
The Pioneer Museum also has excess annuals from Glasgow, Hinsdale, and Opheim available for purchase!
The Assiniboine tepee is part of the Joshua Wetsit Collection and is one of the last three elk hide tepees in existence.
Here in our hills, only a century ago, massive buffalo herds roamed. In Valley County, a person is still able to find the fossilized remains of teepee rings, buffalo jumps, and artifacts of past Indian cultures.
Cowboys have been a dominant figure in Montana and Valley County. Our display features many cowboy relics such as old saddles, brands, chaps, spurs, veterinarian tools, and a chuck wagon furnished with dishes and food.
Available for tours, 1915 Valley County! Crews have finished working on store fronts and buildings. A hotel and bar, jewelry store, barber shop, confectionery, law office, emporium, general store, and a depot!
Reservations for events are also available.
Baker's Jewelry was founded in 1948 by L J Baker and his wife. This beautiful display commemorates the legacy of Baker's Jewelry by featuring many gorgeous cut agates as well as the machines that L J Baker built himself, including the slab saw, shaping saw, sanding machine, and more! The display has many beautiful uncut agates as well as some mounted in jewelry.
The museum has an original 1924 catalog home. The Quast house was relocated from rural Glentana, Montana, to the museum and is open for visitors to come look through!